A Thane's Courage

Go down

A Thane's Courage

Post by ThatPuertoRicanFool! on Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:56 pm

I already post this short at BLS but I dont think I'll get much of an reading there. so here you go.and please,pass your judgement

I awoke to terrible screams of fright and hatred. To my dismay and revulsion, the wretched Grendel was locked with my brave leader, Beowulf, like two great serpent-monsters of the sea. The Hall of Herot was in ruins, with wooden benches and tables splintered, shattered and smashed in the battle between my lord and the abominable Grendel. I, along with the rest of Beowulf’s band of brave geats, leaped up, swords drawn and poised to deliver death and vengeance. With a yell of ancestral hate, I charged towards the embattled Grendel, swinging my blade over my head in wide lethal arcs. I brought my weapon down upon the monsters flesh in a downward slash. My grin of triumph was quickly replaced by a look of alarm. Instead of cutting open the foul creature’s hide, my steel had slid clean off.

Beowulf was still throttling Grendel to great effect, and Grendel was doing his utmost to escape the champion of Higlac’s vice-like grip. My fellow geats and I tried time and time again to finish off the scion of Cain but each attempt was a folly. In frustration, I stabbed my blade into Grendel’s flank. My blade shattered, and it was at that moment that I realized that the Horror of Herot had ensorcelled our weapons. No matter our courage, no matter our acts of bravado, we would not be the ones to send Grendel screaming into hell that day. Beowulf, and Beowulf alone, would have that honor.

I, along with the rest of my fellows formed a circle around our prince and the monster. We would do our utmost to prevent the nemesis of Hrothgar’s escape. Beowulf would slay the creature and he, along with us, would celebrate the grand victory in Herot, pouring down many a mug of mead with an abundance of food to go along with it. King Hrothgar, graying and noble, and yet still vigorous and brave, would sit happily upon his fair throne. Secure in his rule and grateful that his realm was cleansed, would reward Beowulf and us heartily once his land was restored to its former greatness. To Grendel’s horror, he realized this too. And like any cornered wild beast, fear gave him newfound strength. He redoubled his attempt to escape, swinging his claw at my lord. I gasped, for if the claw struck, Beowulf would surely die. But this was not the case. I watched in awe as Beowulf released one of his hands from Grendel’s bulging throat and took hold of the monster’s claw at his wrist. With one handed wrapped around his neck, and another clamped down upon his wrist, Beowulf began to pull.

I could hear the ripping of Grendel’s muscles, the crack of his bones. But Grendel could feel it and he began to shriek in agony as his arm was slowly torn from his colossal body. And then there was one loud, rapid crack. It was like the sound of a hundred ropes suddenly snapping at once. Grendel’s arm tore apart from his shoulder. The beast screamed in anguish as Beowulf yelled in accomplishment. Despite his terrible wound, Grendel manage to break free of Beowulf’s grip, as a rat would escape an eagles talon’s .Even though Beowulf’s geats surrounded him, we could not prevent the monstrosity’s escape. Even so, I smiled, for no manner of demon may survive so great a wound, and Grendel would be sent screaming into the abyss before too long. As one, the geats looked upon Beowulf, whose heroic pose fit well. He held the wretch Grendel’s arm high, for all of the inhabitants of Herot to see. He proclaimed “Let no man of Herot, no thane of Hrothgar ever give into fear again. For I, Beowulf, son of Edgetho, follower of Higlac, and now slayer of Grendel, Have purged this great hall of evil and restored peace to the land”

ThatPuertoRicanFool!
Minion

Male Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-09-27

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A Thane's Courage

Post by GreyApothecary on Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:50 am

hey tex is on this forum as well....
GreyApothecary
Minion

Male Number of posts : 201