Realism and Video Games

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Should video games strive to be realistic?

11% 11% 
[ 2 ]
33% 33% 
[ 6 ]
44% 44% 
[ 8 ]
11% 11% 
[ 2 ]

Total Votes : 18

Realism and Video Games

Post by CivBase on Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:34 pm

Should video games based on "realistic" stories - from historical events (WW2) to fictional stories (James Bond) or even so far as "what if" situations (zombie apocalypse) - strive to be realistic? If so, to what point?

A clarification for the poll:

Strong No - Games like Dead Rising 2 are perfectly fine. Who cares if there's no way I could make a flamethrower using a squirt gun and a tank of gas? Anything goes, so long as it's fun.
To a Point - I'm willing to let a lot of stuff slide, but nothing too crazy. Developers should not be high while they're making this stuff up.
An Attempt Should be Made - For fun's sake, you have to let some things slide (like getting behind cover for just a few seconds to heal), but the game should still feel like a plausible story.
All the Way, Baby - If you get shot, you're in big trouble. If it's anywhere vital, you're dead. Those are bullets, not paintballs.

Male Number of posts : 7336
Registration date : 2008-04-27

View user profile http://pathwaygames.forumotion.net/

Back to top Go down

Re: Realism and Video Games

Post by KrAzY on Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:40 am

I don't like realism in videogames for 3 reasons

1. Realism is no fun
2. I can't see shit when the whole map is bump and normal mapped to hell with textures that clutter EVERYTHING
3. I am going to be working in the industry in less than 2 years now... and realism is hard as fuck to do
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3963
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:24 am

I definitely think an attempt should at least be made. Realism implies an understanding of what is and is not realistic, and that understanding implies that research was performed to determine what is and is not realistic, and said research implies that the developer actually cares enough about the subject to spend time researching it. We expect movies and books to at least try to be realistic, so I don't see why games should get a double standard, at least as far as plot goes. Multiplayer can do whatever it wants, since it isn't about story, but singleplayer should at least try to make sense.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:52 am

I think there should be a balance between the two.

Much like TV, Movies and novels there is a great range, some being incredibely outlandish and unrealistic to create escapism and fun, for example take a typical action movie, most of what the central protagonist does is damn near impossible, but it makes for a thrilling set piece and makes the film fun. Quite a lot of games fall into this category, like for example the upcoming Bulletstorm.

On the other hand, there are more gritty realistic media that try to make a point or try to recreate an event or potential situation to make a point or pay tribute. On this side you'd have games like COD2 and Operation Flashpoint.

To me games are escapism, and to be honest I don't mind either verisons, but realism really doesn't help with the escapism part. Sure they can be immersive and good games in their own right, but most people play games to get away from the horrors of real life, why would I want to play a video game verision of what I see and hear every day?

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:15 am

All the way!

Brown that shit up! Razz
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573
Registration date : 2008-03-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:19 am

it should be realistic in that those decisions made against realism should be to improve fun, or be specific to the story.

SotC is far from realistic, but the premise stands that you can't swim forever, or hold on forever, and sometimes your best friend is your horse that you get to ride for hours on end.
KristallNacht
Unholy Demon Of The Flame

Male Number of posts : 5087
Registration date : 2008-06-24

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:38 am

I'm gonna go with Strong No and An Attempt Should be Made. I mean, there are some games that just need to be unrealistic for them to work. Stuff like Dead Rising or Resident Evil. Those games wouldn't be fun it they were realistic.

Shooters that refer to themselves as military or modern shooters need to have some sort of realism in them or they just get unbalanced to the point where it's not fun anymore. Modern Warfare 2 tried to call itself realistic, but really after it took real life weapons, it said "Fuck you" to realism and the proceeded to circle jerk on it until it wasn't recognizable anymore and shat it out onto store shelves.
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 803
Registration date : 2008-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:50 am

Carlos Spicyweiner wrote:I'm gonna go with Strong No and An Attempt Should be Made. I mean, there are some games that just need to be unrealistic for them to work. Stuff like Dead Rising or Resident Evil. Those games wouldn't be fun it they were realistic.

Shooters that refer to themselves as military or modern shooters need to have some sort of realism in them or they just get unbalanced to the point where it's not fun anymore. Modern Warfare 2 tried to call itself realistic, but really after it took real life weapons, it said "Fuck you" to realism and the proceeded to circle jerk on it until it wasn't recognizable anymore and shat it out onto store shelves.

That's one of the reasons why MW2 failed in my opinion, as it was trying so hard to be a realistic gritty war piece, but came across as a cheesy micheal bay flick.

It became laughable as they were playing it seriously in a game that was completely silly and ridiculious setting and plot wise.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Carlos Spicyweiner on Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:55 am

Vigil wrote:
Carlos Spicyweiner wrote:I'm gonna go with Strong No and An Attempt Should be Made. I mean, there are some games that just need to be unrealistic for them to work. Stuff like Dead Rising or Resident Evil. Those games wouldn't be fun it they were realistic.

That's one of the reasons why MW2 failed in my opinion, as it was trying so hard to be a realistic gritty war piece, but came across as a cheesy micheal bay flick.

It became laughable as they were playing it seriously in a game that was completely silly and ridiculious setting and plot wise.
I think if Infinity Ward (or Activision, I still blame them for the awfulness, not IW) hadn't advertised it as a realistic game and just said well this thing is gonna have a lot of guns and explosions and a B-movie plot then the single-player portion would have came across a lot better. The multiplayer would still be shitty and unbalanced though unfortunately.
Carlos Spicyweiner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 803
Registration date : 2008-07-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:25 am

Agreed.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KrAzY on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:37 am

It really depends on what you guys mean by Realism here

are you talking graphics, or setting/ feel?

I agree 100% that actors and stories should be told relistically, albiet in a fantastical kind of way...

but for graphics... Real is boring... we see real shit every day... I like the look and asthetic of styleized realism that makes it easy to see whats happening, but still comes across as a beautiful environment.

example... MW2 is too cluttered for my tastes... a lot of the time in that game I have trouble differentiating props in the environment for objects I want to use... everything is bump and normal mapped to oblivion... some areas of it they fix that... but in some spots its really hard to tell whats going on.

a good example of stylized realism IMO is Red Dead Redemption.... everything feels like it could exsist... and most of the stuff in that game is absolutely beautiful... but the way it is textured (texturing being the real killer for "realistic" titles) I can still see everything thats happening and instantly read whats going on.

if realism is done right, it will look cool as hell... but it hasn't been done right, and will not be able to be done right for at least another decade... so all these "realistic" games just come across as an unfinished, un-artistic and screwed up representation of "real" that just plain feels wrong
KrAzY
Painter of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 3963
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:37 am

I can't really pick any options since the question encompasses all games, and if all games were either ultra-realistic or the opposite, then we would lose alot of great games.

Yes, some games should be realistic, but I wouldn't say that about ALL games.

[00:17:22] @ KrAzY : new law.
[00:17:28] @ KrAzY : the law can now be a person.
[00:17:28] @ XNate02 : The Law, can only be The Law.
[00:17:32] @ Gauz : I'd kick everyone....
[00:17:37] @ KrAzY : and that person is seath
[00:17:39] @ kasrkin seath : YES
------------------------------------------
[02:22:43] @ KrAzY : the reason we all come to TCF is because Seath is too Lord Pheonix damn sexy to stop.
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Gauz on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:33 pm

I find unrealistic games to be more fun than ones that are realistic.

It depends on the game that is being made, imo.
Gauz
Crimson Medic

Male Number of posts : 7687
Registration date : 2009-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by PiEdude on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:38 pm

Three words:

Grand Theft Mario.

Its day will come.

The days that the Italian-American sets down his fire-breathing flower, and picks up the wrench and pistol he was BORN TO USE!

And he will finally have his revenge on the ruthless Puerto Rican drug lord, "Bowser" Juan Pablo.

Cool

Last edited by PiEdude on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
PiEdude
Crimson Jester

Male Number of posts : 4573

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by tiny tim on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:09 pm

I personally prefer it if shooter games that try to be realistic but fail at it, like MW, didn't advertise as being realistic. And when I look for a realistic game I don;t mean graphicswise, I mean that if you get shot in the head with just about anything you're dead. Same thing with most torso shots. Get shot in the shoulder and your aim is gonna be messed up. I mean stuff like that. And no hiding behind an obstacle for a few seconds to heal up.

tiny tim
Crimson Cripple

Male Number of posts : 1762
Registration date : 2009-03-01

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:44 pm

You'd think you'd enjoy that, but MoH is plagued with broken snipers.

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne on Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:49 pm

if you get shot in the shoulder you're prolly gonna die of blood loss anyway unless you get medical attention

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:47 pm

BBJynne wrote:if you get shot in the shoulder you're prolly gonna die of blood loss anyway unless you get medical attention

hence the existence of the IFAK
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ukurse on Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:51 pm

There is a trade-off in movies, TV show, games, and books.
It is a Freedom/Immersion Trade-off.

Having realism allows players, readers or viewers to immerse into the story, they can also much more easily get attached to and understand the characters. For example, 28 days later, wanted you to care about the characters and their endeavors.

Having less realism gives the developers or writers or what ever more freedom to create what ever they want. They are open to a lot more material. They are free, not bound by the shackles of realism. For example, Zombieland, by subtracting a degree of realism they were able to make the movie pretty much how ever they wanted. They were making a comedy, so by reducing the importance of realism and immersion, they were able to cater more to their first priority; making a comedy movie.

That rule applies mainly to Stories, not games though.
I don't care for Realism in games TBH, like I have said a million times, I buy a game for the gameplay, the enjoyment factor. Not much of my opinion is based on the story because that isn't the first priority for most games.
Which is why I used to play so much TF2.
Ukurse
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1441

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyApothecary on Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XH1kQBPNHIM&feature=channel
don't know if this is relevant or not but meh....
GreyApothecary
Minion

Male Number of posts : 201
Registration date : 2010-09-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:19 am

tiny tim wrote:I personally prefer it if shooter games that try to be realistic but fail at it, like MW, didn't advertise as being realistic. And when I look for a realistic game I don;t mean graphicswise, I mean that if you get shot in the head with just about anything you're dead. Same thing with most torso shots. Get shot in the shoulder and your aim is gonna be messed up. I mean stuff like that. And no hiding behind an obstacle for a few seconds to heal up.

Of the top of my head, SWAT 4 and Operation: Flashpoint would be right up your alley in that regard.

@Grey. If you hit someone with enough force in the head or spine with a throwing knife they would go down instantly and pretty quietly if caught from behind. Where MW2 fails in it's portrayal is they are insta-kill weapons on any part of the body and regardless of their velocity.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by KristallNacht on Thu Nov 04, 2010 6:55 am

Vigil wrote:Where MW2 fails in it's portrayal is they are insta-kill weapons on any part of the body and regardless of their velocity.

but thats in there to balance gameplay. else no one would use them
KristallNacht

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:05 am

KristallNacht wrote:
Vigil wrote:Where MW2 fails in it's portrayal is they are insta-kill weapons on any part of the body and regardless of their velocity.

but thats in there to balance gameplay. else no one would use them
It's gimmicky and unrealistic in a supposedly 'realistic' shooter.

All you need to do is go for the head, and if nessecary fire a few rounds of to finish them off. It wouldn't be that that different from a normal frag if they only got hit by the splash damage.

Vigil

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Angatar on Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:07 pm

Throwing knifes are already overshadowed by semtex, claymores, adn C4. The only things people use less are frags and tactical insertions (atleast for ACTUAL gameplay and not boosting). MW2 had the right it right balancing (MW2 and good balance in the same sentence? lol) realism and gameplay purposes. IW/Activision just fucked a few things up.

Female Number of posts : 3862
Registration date : 2008-07-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BBJynne on Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:58 pm

I like throwing knives because I always use riot shield Razz

and akimbo USPs...

I don't take the game very seriously

BBJynne
The Lord's Blood Knight

Male Number of posts : 5059