Destiny.

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11

Go down

Re: Destiny.

Post by Ruski on Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:37 pm

Neat little easter egg that Bungie put in after they patched a loot exploit. And a little talk on how good the game looks.
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vigil on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:36 am

Bungie really does beautiful skyboxes, and that still applies to Destiny. The pseudo cell shaded art style does really solid as well, even on a 360 or PS3 even of it does remind me constantly of the old republic. It's just a shame that the games content is so fundamentally shallow.

A still more glorious dawn awaits.
Not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise
A morning filled with 400 billion suns
The rising of the milky way

You can fight like a Krogan, run like a Leopard
But you'll never be better than Commander Shepard
Vigil
Dark Knight of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 4810
Registration date : 2009-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ruski on Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:09 pm

Vigil wrote:Bungie really does beautiful skyboxes, and that still applies to Destiny. The pseudo cell shaded art style does really solid as well, even on a 360 or PS3 even of it does remind me constantly of the old republic. It's just a shame that the games content is so fundamentally shallow.
Yes definitely. I agree 100%. The cell shading is, imo, a key reason why things like this age well over time. But yeah, content for this game is really lacking.
Ruski
Minion

Male Number of posts : 1218
Registration date : 2009-07-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:52 pm

So my brother gave me his copy of Destiny a few days ago, warning me that it was basically a shallow piece of shit and wasn't fun, social, or story-driven like Bungie claimed.

I agree with him wholeheartedly.

Just playing the story missions is so fucking awful and boring. It feels like there's supposed to be some lore or something, but every time someone's about to explain what is actually going on they get cut off or decide to just be mysterious or something and don't tell you. Because reasons, I guess.

It looks like a lot of the game is missing, gone and departed into thin air. Shit just happens without exposition of any kind, and then you have to defend your ghost against the same enemies for the same five minutes and kill all of them. It's ridiculously easy, even when playing over-leveled missions.

The only challenging PvE content are raids/strikes, but raids don't have matchmaking and strikes are only dangerous because of the sheer DPS on field. There's also no text chat system whatsoever, so you need to use PSN/XBL to talk to people, and at least on Playstation (the "preferred" platform for the game) that is dreadful in and of itself.

The PvP is similar to Halo and arena style, which I like, but it should be more than just similar to Halo. Bungie tried to blend loadouts with arena combat once again, and it turns out spawning people with a power weapon (shotguns and fusion rifles are OP to the max, snipers are poop) is a shitty idea. Who knew? All I've done thus far is run around seal-clubbing people with a shotgun and just force-punching them with the Warlock's ranged melee. It is extremely effective and very broken, even after shotguns got nerfed into the ground post-beta.

The only primary weapons worth using are pulse rifles and auto rifles. Scout guns and hand cannons are terrible in PvP and only kind of okay in PvE.

The classes are basically all the same. They each have a grenade, a melee ability, and a "super charged" ability which is a free instant kill after you do enough melee damage or just wait long enough. The Warlock is not even close to a space-wizard, since he basically just uses guns and has magic grenades like everyone else. The Titan is an armored Rocky Balboa and also does a lot of shoot shoot bang bang pew pew with guns. The Hunter is the worse version of the Warlock and can go semi-invisible which is only moderately useful.

The story is awful and the game ended up not even coming close to the hype. PvP is the same stupid clusterfuck as any other FPS and requires you to just use broken methods to win. It's an okay game and you should play it if you can borrow it from a friend, but only to see how bad it is. Don't buy the DLC.

5/10. I expected more from Bungie.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Fri Dec 26, 2014 6:28 pm

An I-told-you-so nearly two years in the making.

Rotaretilbo wrote:
Vigil wrote:My argument was, and still is that there is a significant difference between what Molyneux says and delivers, and what Bungie says and delivers.

Molyneux has always made claims that have been either flat out lies or massive exaggeration, as what he claims just was not possible technically by his studio.  He has always made claims with no evidence to back it up and has freely admitted as such.

Bungie on the other hand, while they have made some outlandish claims in the past in some of the VIDOCS (Which is used the example of some the language used in the Halo 3 ones which compared it to Return of the King.) The difference is, Bungie has a better track record on delivering on what they set out to do.  Tell me, when you remember the advertising fluff they say, and get down to core gameplay decisions and proposals they ever said, name me one they didn't achieve.

Molyneux is known for promising the moon and then delivering mediocrity. While Bungie may have compared Halo 3 to Return of the King, I feel like they've never been this outlandish before in a ViDoc. They work for Activision, yet they claim that they are in a place where they can literally do whatever they can imagine and that there are no technological boundaries for this game? That's pretty fucking grandiose. It's a promise that is simply impossible. I mean, fuck, they've promised us that the game will be alive, and that there will be procedural events that they didn't even plan for! The last time I was promised an amazing procedural AI by a company owned by a major publisher, I bought Spore and it was a disaster. Now Bungie, who left Microsoft (arguably one of the nicest of the major publishers) to join Activision (arguably second only to EA) is promising us not just the moon, but the sun and stars? I think it is fair to say that they are acting like Molyneux. If they deliver, we'll make a new verb to describe someone who promises and then delivers the moon, but until then, I feel that it is hardly unfair to compare the two.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:16 pm

What's worst of all is that it probably was a good game at some point, but Joseph Staten (lead writer at Bungie) left and it seems evident that they scrapped his work, which was likely the majority of the game. He isn't even in the credits.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11