[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]
0% 0% 
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 12

Science Facility

Post by Tylertlat on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:42 pm

I've become bored again and need motivation to design. And due to the games I've been playing and books I've been reading lately, I want to design a futuristic science facility or laboratory. I'm thinking of a high-sci-fi tech level, like Mass Effect or Star Wars. I'll also be doing this project in stages, first setting up the environment, then the construction buildings, and hopefully expanding into a large, realistic, and organic facility. The first step is deciding where the Crimson Flame would build it's secretive, dangerous, and probably illegal lab.
Tylertlat
Architect of the Flames

Male Number of posts : 623
Registration date : 2009-02-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Science Facility

Post by Nocbl2 on Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:47 pm

Ice planets have a sort of adventurous ruggedness to them, plus it'd be difficult to attack anything there (if this is a military lab).
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

Male Number of posts : 4814
Registration date : 2009-03-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:02 am

Tylertlat wrote:The first step is deciding where the Crimson Flame would build it's secretive, dangerous, and probably illegal lab.

Where is that desolate landscape? Mars?

Africa?

Australia?

I'd say that Australia would be a safe bet, if I didn't grow up around there. Those would be the Channeled Scablands in Central Washington, and I've always thought the landscape had a strong sci-fi feeling.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:15 am

The best science facilities are always located in harsh, isolated places. Places that are infeasible to attack. Places where, when things go wrong, you can just say "whelp, we're not sending any more scientists there!" and instead send a group of convenient adventurers. To me, I feel like a desolate polar tundra achieves this the best. A lack of atmosphere or being underwater is easier to overcome with the right vehicle, but there isn't really a vehicle that just negates it being fucking cold. Underground is a close second.

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:23 am

I feel volcanic for motif, but honestly I just love science in the tundra.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7569
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://crimsonflame.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Elabajaba on Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:01 am

Polar region with a close by volcano is always an option.

Elabajaba
Crimson Epileptic

Male Number of posts : 1114
Registration date : 2009-06-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:21 am

Rotaretilbo wrote:The best science facilities are always located in harsh, isolated places. Places that are infeasible to attack. Places where, when things go wrong, you can just say "whelp, we're not sending any more scientists there!" and instead send a group of convenient adventurers. To me, I feel like a desolate polar tundra achieves this the best. A lack of atmosphere or being underwater is easier to overcome with the right vehicle, but there isn't really a vehicle that just negates it being fucking cold. Underground is a close second.

Those places are also absurdly expensive to supply though. Besides, it's much easier to keep your research a secret than where you are doing it.

[00:17:22] @ KrAzY : new law.
[00:17:28] @ KrAzY : the law can now be a person.
[00:17:28] @ XNate02 : The Law, can only be The Law.
[00:17:32] @ Gauz : I'd kick everyone....
[00:17:37] @ KrAzY : and that person is seath
[00:17:39] @ kasrkin seath : YES
------------------------------------------
[02:22:43] @ KrAzY : the reason we all come to TCF is because Seath is too Lord Pheonix damn sexy to stop.
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

Male Number of posts : 3018
Registration date : 2008-07-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by helvner on Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:35 am

Kasrkin Seath wrote:
Rotaretilbo wrote:The best science facilities are always located in harsh, isolated places. Places that are infeasible to attack. Places where, when things go wrong, you can just say "whelp, we're not sending any more scientists there!" and instead send a group of convenient adventurers. To me, I feel like a desolate polar tundra achieves this the best. A lack of atmosphere or being underwater is easier to overcome with the right vehicle, but there isn't really a vehicle that just negates it being fucking cold. Underground is a close second.

Those places are also absurdly expensive to supply though. Besides, it's much easier to keep your research a secret than where you are doing it.

I believe if this will be the True Crimison Flame HeadQuarters we would be able to make/supply anything we in within the Facility.

but another thing a red building in the tundra enviroment would stick out like a sore thumb
helvner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tylertlat on Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:57 pm

helvner wrote:
Kasrkin Seath wrote:

I believe if this will be the True Crimison Flame HeadQuarters we would be able to make/supply anything we in within the Facility.

Well tundra seems to be the people's choice, but even if the facility is fairly self sufficient, it would still need transport for personnel and material. Especially during construction. Heavier than air travel can't be cost-effective, but maybe a cargo airship or a tundra train ?
I see the initial stage going something like this: Drones/robots are deployed to the site. They set up a tent or tent -like structure to protect a triangular mold. This mold would make the components for a pykrete geodesic dome. Further construction could be based from this (temporary?) first structure.

helvner wrote:but another thing a red building in the tundra enviroment would stick out like a sore thumb
Well, we could always paint it whatever color the background of this website is.
Tylertlat
Architect of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Pheonix on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:10 pm

The ice lab in the first Mass Effect may have been my favorite level in the entire game.

That and the whole "not knowing what is going on/slowly finding out about science gone wrong" is one of my favorite genres.

Lord Pheonix
Lord Of The Flames

Male Number of posts : 7569
Registration date : 2008-03-23

View user profile http://crimsonflame.bigforumpro.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tylertlat on Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:15 pm

Lord Pheonix wrote:The ice lab in the first Mass Effect may have been my favorite level in the entire game.
That and the whole "not knowing what is going on/slowly finding out about science gone wrong" is one of my favorite genres.

Noveria was my favorite level, if for no other reason than I loved the concept and architecture of Port Hanshan. And who doesn't love exploring ruins snd discovering how they came to be that way. Now would our place be in the middle of an ice flatts or in a craggy mountain or where?
Tylertlat
Architect of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rotaretilbo on Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:07 pm

The tundra science facility in Mass Effect is one of my favorite levels as well. Smile

Male Number of posts : 4540
Registration date : 2008-07-21

View user profile http://cdpgames.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Tylertlat on Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:16 pm

I've had the lay-out for the first segment of the facility (the construction/maintenance buildings) in my head for awhile now, but am having trouble making good looking prefab housing. Will post when done. In the meantime, what would be the next areas to be built? The general habitation and food production? Large scale utilities to supply everything to come? Communications and transit depots? Or to just get started on labs?
Tylertlat
Architect of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Wed Mar 12, 2014 4:45 pm

Food production.

This place is in the middle of fucking nowhere, it's got to be self-sufficient fast.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tylertlat on Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:30 pm

Well, here's a second draft of the Prefab housing units. Thoughts and suggestions?

And the rough layout of the maintenance/construction cluster. The Green are storage tanks, the yellow a reactor to provide heat and electricity, and dark blue are pykrete garages and the light blue is a pykrete factory for later concrete structural components. Again, thoughts/suggestions?

Tylertlat
Architect of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:20 pm

Hmm, Pykrete is an interesting choice. At the very least the bulk of the main ingredient would be readily available.

[02:22:43] @ KrAzY : the reason we all come to TCF is because Seath is too Lord Pheonix damn sexy to stop.
Kasrkin Seath
The Law

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rasq'uire'laskar on Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:15 am

I was just thinking that.

We'd have to use our mad science to reverse global warming if we want to keep our garages, but we might get a government grant for that.
Rasq'uire'laskar
Crimson Scribe

Male Number of posts : 2927
Registration date : 2008-06-29

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tylertlat on Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:18 am

I thought we agreed to a Noveria-esqe planet? Alright, let's assume this: The facility takes place in a halo/mass effect-ish future, on a cold human-habitable planet. The planetary system is unclaimed by any of the major or 'local' political powers, but within a months's FTL/jump travel of perpetually warring areas. The planet itself has imported coniferous forest (and compatible alien analogs) up to ~30 North and south, terraforming lichen up to ~60 and glaciers starting at ~45 It is being terraformed by corporations and organizations like CF making labs and bases and stuff, with a confederation of equatorial cities springing up to sell good to them. The CF lab is on a glacier shoved up against a mountain, which makes it fairly stable and blocks the prevailing winds.
Tylertlat
Architect of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:12 pm

Rasq'uire'laskar wrote:I was just thinking that.

We'd have to use our mad science to reverse global warming if we want to keep our garages, but we might get a government grant for that.

What about an elaborate insulation and refrigeration system?

Kasrkin Seath
The Law

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tylertlat on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:48 pm

So, about a month ago, I had a computer glitch that ended up taking out pretty much all of my non-protected data. Knight5niper was there and can confirm. All of the progress on this project is gone now, and I don't feel like redoing the vertical greenhouse I made up for the next stage, so let's go in a different, more floor-plan friendly project: Bunkers! I'm thinking a classic 50s-esque bunker, a la Fallout, Portal 2, X-COM Declassified or Evil Genius. Probably do the project in stages, start with a "mining town" next to a large hill or small mountain with a road tunnel heading in, then essentials, sustainability, re-emergence equipment, then comforts and expansion. Let's get the discussions and suggestions going!
Tylertlat
Architect of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by helvner on Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:28 am

who is knight5niper ?
helvner
Minion

Male Number of posts : 139
Registration date : 2008-08-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Kasrkin Seath on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:04 am

helvner wrote:who is knight5niper ?
You know, that one guy that used to bother XNate all the time? I think he got banned or something...

Kasrkin Seath
The Law

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tylertlat on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:57 am

helvner wrote:who is knight5niper ?

I haven't seen him since you showed up. I think he was before your time.
Tylertlat
Architect of the Flames

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Nocbl2 on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:42 pm

He pops in here occasionally.

Anyways, if this is a bunker, is it intended for disaster escape? If so, it should be focused in such a way that it could be utilized in emergency without any reliance on the outside from the get-go.
Nocbl2
Lord's Personal Minion

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down